Garage doors are no small investment. Reputable companies charge a lot of money for building and installing a simple garage door however, if you have the right equipment and guidance, you can even build one yourself.
Homeowners usually opt for the roll-up garage door in their homes. It comprises three sections or areas which are connected together horizontally and hinged in place using screws. The slides of the door have rollers that run on a track which is installed within the frame of the main door.
Let’s take a look at all the material you need to build a garage door and how can you do it. Stay tuned to find out.
What materials do you need?
You must purchase or find the following items in your home before starting the project.
- High-quality rollers
- A hammer
- Measuring Tape
- Steel nails
- A screwdriver
- Door handles
- An electric saw machine
- Steel hinges
- A piece of plywood
- Two studs
- Machine oil
The step-by-step guide to building a garage door
Follow these guidelines to build your roll-up garage door:
- Use the measuring tape t determine the height and the width of the garage door’s opening. Let’s take the average of 12 feet in width and 9 feet in height.
- Then using a calculator, divide the height measure by three. Do not get the calculations wrong.
- Then construct three equal-sized panels each one with the width of the main door opening and the height calculated in the last step. So, each panel would be 12 feet wide and 3 feet in height.
- Using the electric saw, cut two wooden studs of the measurements 1½ by 2 inches. These studs will smoothly roll the door. Using the same example, the wooden studs will be 9 feet by 140 inches. The studs will be installed over the door frame.
- Then using the electric saw cut two more wooden studs 1½ by 2 inches according to the panel height. In the example taken, the studs will be 34 inches in length.
- Now secure these 34 inches of wooden studs on both ends to form the wooden frame in a rectangle shape.
- Use the steel nails and glue to hold the wood pieces in place.
- Follow the same steps for the other two panels so that at the end you get three secure panels.
- Then using the same electric saw cut three pieces from the plywood sheet of the measurement 12 feet by 3 feet. Secure these plywood frames using the glue.
- Secure a roller using the steel nail on the top of the door frame and the bottom which are 3 feet in width. This way every panel will have at least four rollers.
- Now roll the three panels on the tracks of the door frame.
- Tighten the hinges so that the panels are well-secured on the track. Make sure the panels are connected to each other.
- Each panel should have three hinges; one in the middle and two on each side.
- Now all you have to do is attach the two-door handles.